|Home > Health and diseases > General topics > Healthy fresh food|
Please note: This article
1) Some literature sources state that onions, spring onions, leek and garlic are harmful to birds because the substances they contain can burst the red blood cells and thus lead to anaemia. However, other sources say that these foods are harmless to birds when served in small quantities. I myself have fed small quantities to my birds so far and there have never been any health problems.
1) Some food stores offer dried dates and figs that are not extra sweetened. Such dried dates and figs can be served to pet birds. Please do not offer this food to them too often because it contains a lot of fructose and your birds can gain too much weight from it.
2) Any kind of melon is a highly appreciated goody for all pet bird species. From water melon to honeydew melon and cantaloupe melon, everything can be served to your feathered friends.
3) Pet birds do not only love to eat the berries but also the leaves of the mulberry plant.
Please do never offer the following fruits to your birds:
Avocado (too fatty and toxic for birds near kernel)
* Many people claim that parsley is toxic for birds. It's true that it contains substances that are poisonous in high doses. But both of these potentially dangerous substances can only be found in parsley in very small doses. If you serve only small quantities of parsley to your pet birds this food will not harm them in any way. But please make sure that your birds don't suffer from a lack of calcium since parsley contains substances that bind calcium. If birds who suffer from a lack of this mineral eat too much parsley their health problem could become even worse.
** Most birds must get used to the very aromatic herbs at first. But in most cases after a while they love to nibble from these plants. But please do only serve small quantities of those herbs to your birds because these plants contain a lot of essential oils that could irritate the bird's mucosa in their crop or digestive tract.
All photos and the text on this page are protected by the copyright law. In case you'd like to use photos or texts for your own non-commercial purpose, please contact the author.